Home » Posts tagged 'fantasy romance'
Tag Archives: fantasy romance
For a writer, the stuff of myth and legend is treasure. Pure story gold. Heroes and heroines who don’t simply embody the hero archetype, they invented it. Here are a few reasons I love paranormals based on mythology:
- Myths are classic. They’re the originals. The stories most every other story is based upon in some way.
- Immortality. Immortals particularly intrigue me. Existing since the dawn of time tends to lend interest to a character, doesn’t it? They’ve seen it all, done it all, but still have to keep up with the latest.
- Different versions of myths. Not all legends are the same, even about the same character. It allows for a little, ahem, leeway for writers. Some creative license. Room to play–expand the character traits, place them in situations they’ve never before faced.
- Kickass heroes to make you swoon. Don’t you love them? Alpha males with special talents or powers. When paired with a strong females who can bring them to their knees, the sparks fly off the page!
- The coolness factor. They may be old school, but immortals in the present have rock star cool. By definition, an immortal would still exist in present time, and I love nothing better than placing an ancient character in a modern setting — like Satan (though in this story, I used his very old mythological name of Lord Plouton).
I am not, however, a fan of stereotypes. I love to mix it up. Sometimes a lot! My Kensington release, Goddess, Awakened, isn’t strictly written around mythology. I mixed in a little fantasy, some intelligent and intuitive (not to mention adorable) animals, a modern heroine and a brooding, intelligent veterinarian who has more hero in him than he suspects, all in a magical setting of the small Pennsylvania town of Boiling Springs (a real town, but without the mysterious ley line!).
What about you? Do you love a little mythology mixed in your paranormals?
The Goddess Connection Book 1
Fantasy/paranormal romance novel
About 89,700 words
About the Author
Cate Masters has made beautiful central Pennsylvania her home, but she’ll always be a Jersey girl at heart. When not spending time with her dear hubby, she can be found in her lair, concocting a magical brew of contemporary, historical, and fantasy/paranormal stories with her cat Chairman Maiow and dog Lily as company. Look for her at http://catemasters.blogspot.com and in strange nooks and far-flung corners of the web.