Love is a leap of faith. And love conquers all. Right? If only it were that easy.
By Brannan Black
Cover Art By Bryan Keller
Blurb: Life among humans. Not something my two wolfmen ever expected to experience again. The women at the compound are just as surprised to find themselves sharing their sanctuary with the very wolfmen they’re trying to protect themselves from. Learning to trust each other won’t be easy but I have faith, in my wolfmen and our love. Love conquers all. Right? If only it were that easy.
Available now at: Changeling Press
An unfamiliar woman’s voice made me jump. I hadn’t heard her approach my chair on the porch.
“Sorry, didn’t mean to startle you.” She sounded sincere enough.
“It’s OK. I’m not used to all the background noise, I guess. I used to be better at hearing people approach.”
Pity filled the woman’s voice. “It must have been so terrible being alone like you were. No wonder you think those be… um, wolfmen rescued you.”
At least she’d caught herself before calling them beasts. I hated that name for the men I loved.
“Would you like to, you know, meet some other folks?”
She seemed nervous, but nice. “Sure, I’d love that.”
“OK, how about we go to my house?” She sounded relieved, which was strange or maybe she was just shy. “It’s just over there, down the hill toward the barn a bit.”
“Sure. I should let someone know where I’m going. Hate to have the compound searching for the lost blind woman.” I chuckled, hoping to help her relax a bit.
“Oh, no — um, I mean, it’s OK. Lindsey just, ah, waved to me out the window.”
Can’t say I was surprised that someone was watching me. “Let’s go then. Can I put my hand on your shoulder?”
“Oh, sure, here. Um, stairs down.”
My guide’s steps sounded tense. Most people don’t know how to react to a blind person much less help guide them. Or maybe she was just nervous around someone new. I gave her the benefit of the doubt. My foot banged into the wood step. Damn!
“Oh, I’m so sorry!” Her voice wavered with uncertainty. “Uh, there are two steps up to the porch.”
I reached out with my other hand for the rail. A faint tremor flowed from her soft fingers, so slight others would no doubt miss it. “It’s OK, how many steps to the door?”
Tremor turned to shake. Had I unnerved her that much?
“Ah, two? I think?” Our steps echoed hollowly across the porch. She almost jerked me to a stop. “Let me get the door.”
It made little sound opening but a breeze of stale air wafted past me. Faint sounds from inside suggested others waited. I cocked my head, trying to tell how many. They stood so very still! Like they were waiting to jump out and say “Surprise!”
“Come on.” She tugged me forward. I stumbled over the low sill. “Damn! Sorry.” Now even her voice held a faint tremor.
The door clicked closed behind me, blowing a faint odor to my nose. I knew that smell! What the hell? I jerked out of my guide’s grip, half turning toward that smell and backing up. I stumbled against the woman.
Frank’s oily voice grated on my ears even as his clammy hands gripped my arms from so close in front of me his breath choked me. “Easy there Mei, no one wants to hurt you. Not like those bastard beasts.”
I sucked in a breath to scream but a hand clamped tightly over it. “Shh, we just need to keep you out of the way for a bit. We’re here to help,” the woman who’d brought me whispered in my ear. No trace of nerves now.
I guess Frank had finally found the balls to do more than talk, damn him.
Another woman’s voice came from farther in the room. “Soon everyone will see just how vicious those monsters really are. They’ll start tearing this place apart looking for you.”
Frank chortled with evil glee. “And get their brains blown out for it. Even Sylvia won’t tolerate two beasts on a rampage.”
My heart stuttered. Oh, my God! I could see my mates going nuts looking for me. Fear clutched my heart so hard my head swam, dizzy. They lost no time gagging me and dragging me down a flight of stairs to a damp smelling cellar.
Hands started stripping my clothes. I tried to scream, to fight free. God, what were they going to do? I got a hand free and smacked someone in the face.
“Ow! Knock it off. We’re not gonna hurt you. Just need to borrow your clothes.”
Like that made getting stripped all better! I landed a couple of good kicks before a blow to my head stunned me long enough for them to finish.
A foul smelling robe was thrust on me and my hands were tied roughly behind my back. “Behave. I don’t want to have to hit you again.” Frank shoved me down on a moldy smelling mattress.
I was going to rip that bastard’s balls off when I got loose. If my boys left him with any!
Wolfman Tales Series
- Blind Passion Two randy young wolfmen want my burrow — and me. And they aren’t planning to take no for answer! Available at: Changeling Press, All Romance ebooks, Barnes & Noble or Amazon
- Blind Devotion Derek and Jay risked their lives to save me. Now it’s my turn. Available at: Changeling Press, All Romance ebooks, Barnes & Noble or Amazon
- Blind Faith Love is a leap of faith. And love conquers all. Right? If only it were that easy. Coming Jan 18 to Changeling Press
- Check out the entire Wolfman series at Changeling Press, All Romance ebooks, Amazon and Barnes & Noble
Island Wolfman Series
- Paradise Marooned. Alone with the voices in my head — and an island full of sex crazed wolfmen… Available at: Changeling Press, All Romance ebooks, Barnes & Noble or Amazon
- Soul Bound Can Ilario and Wulf claim Raven for their own before she gets them all killed? Available at: Changeling Press, All Romance ebooks, Barnes & Noble or Amazon
- Blood Slave It’s the twenty-first century. Who keeps slaves anymore? Other than really, really old vampires… Available at: Changeling Press, All Romance ebooks, Barnes & Noble or Amazon
- Blood Hunter Boytoy for a sexy blond vampire? No way. This cop has a job: find his daughter, hunt rogue vamps… Available at: Changeling Press, All Romance ebooks, Barnes & Noble or Amazon
- Ravaged: Can Drifa protect Aiden and Mick from the ruling council — and still satisfy her own hungers? Available at: Changeling Press, All Romance ebooks, Amazon and Barnes & Noble
Epic Romances, Dark Dreams, What if… Paranormal, futuristic & fantasy romantic adventures
Brannan’s Fantasies, blog
Friend me on face book, Brannan Black, Author