I love to bake, especially at the holidays when everyone’s interested in eating! *lol* These are two of my favourites, and they’re simple to make. I hope you enjoy:
Shortbread Midnight Mints
1 cup butter or margarine
2 cups all-purpose flour
½ cup white or brown sugar
Crumble butter, flour and sugar mixture together well. Pat mixture into ungreased 9×9 pan. Bake at 350° F, until golden brown. Set aside to cool.
¼ cup butter or margarine
3 tablespoons milk
Peppermint flavoring to taste
2 cups icing sugar
Green food coloring
Combine all ingredients in a bowl. Mix well, adding a few drops more liquid if needed for easy spreading. Tint a pretty green, and spread over cooled bottom layer.
½ – ¾ cup pure chocolate chips
2 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon milk
Melt chips and butter in saucepan over low heat or over hot water. If needed for pouring, add milk until smooth. Spread over second layer.
Chill and store in refrigerator. This will keep well, and will also freeze well.
Cut into squares.
And this one is from Italy, it’s called Winter Sunset, a very lovely drink for this time of year!
1 1/2 oz. Malibu coconut-flavored rum
1 1/2 oz. white crème de cacao
1/2 oz. Tia Maria
warmed whipped cream (the canned variety works)
warm chocolate syrup
freshly baked chocolate chip cookie (the refrigerated kind is fine)
- Warm up your can of whipped cream by immersing it in a pot filled with medium-hot water for three to five minutes. (Water should cover at least half of the can.)
- Combine Malibu, crème de cacao and Tia Maria in an old fashioned-style glass.
- Stir gently.
- Remove whipped cream can from medium-hot water and top drink mixture with whipped cream.
- Drizzle with hot chocolate.
- Serve with a freshly baked chocolate chip cookie on the side.